Domain 4: Training development
- Computer or mobile device
- Internet connection
This activity will cover main concepts you need to know about infographics. Infographic is a graphical representation of data and information. By presenting information in a compact and creative approach, infographics are able to quickly transfer knowledge and engage its viewers. The tool for graphic design Snappa doesn’t require specific ICT skills – you can now design all kinds of professional graphics using nothing more than “drag and drop”.
The aim of this activity is to present the functionality of the tool, which allows to visualize and systematize information. Infographics are extremely powerful tools for teaching, thanks to their ability to break complex information into easy-to-understand components and to make even dense data engaging. People in general like visuality – half of the human’s brain is dedicated to visual functions. The use of infographics makes learners draw their attention to consciously selected information. Making infographics is a highly useful skill for adult educators helping them to present the prepared data in a different way.
- To systematize ideas and concepts by using visual elements;
- To represent visual information through the creation of infographics.
Snappa is an online platform (https://snappa.com/ ) where 3 pricing plans, including a free version, are offered. For using a free version, the adult educator should have an internet connection and email to create an account.
This activity allows you to make professional looking graphic online in minutes.
Once you log into Snappa, you get the possibility to use readymade templates for making images for your learning material or you can create custom graphics of any size.
Snappa tool presents an extensive library of images, icons, and templates, you can design anything from graphics for illustration of your material concepts and all that without having any knowledge of graphic designing.
If you choose to create a graphic using a template, you can pick your desired category to get started. The categories include social media posts, social media ads, headers (cover photo or channel art), blog featured image, display ads or custom graphic.
Once you have picked a readymade template or specified size for your custom graphic, you can start adding backgrounds, images, icons, text, etc. Snappa has an extensive library for adding relevant content and you can even upload your own images to include in your graphics.
Whenever you add an item, you are given customization options for adjusting its look and feel. A few basic tabs make it easy to find and place objects for making graphics. You can get started by choosing a background, add text, graphics, and shapes and optionally adjust their look using effects. Snappa offers more than 10, 000 patterns & photos, more than 3,000 shapes, and vectors and more than 200 Fonts and typefaces.
Snappa allows downloading and sharing your graphics. The download options include image formats like JPG & PNG.
- Determine the purpose and the audience;
- Collect data, research, analyze;
- Connect to Click on ‘Infographics’ to start with the perfect image dimensions;
- Identify the template/style;
- Focus on visuals.
- Write a catchy headline. One that gets attention, makes people curious and gives a clear idea of what the infographic is about.
- Leave plenty of white (negative) space. A busy infographic is off-putting, hard on the eyes. If that’s the case, people will just scroll on by.
- Create the infographic for your target audience and subject.
- Keep text to a minimum.
- Stick to a single topic.
- The information should flow like a good story.
- If infographic presents facts and data, ensure that the used sources and information are cited.
- Use two at the most fonts for text presenting and don’t use too many colours.
To be able to use Snappa services, teachers and learners have to receive an account.
Every user must comply with the terms and conditions specified.
For more information read “Terms & Conditions“ (https://snappa.com/terms)